Section Leader (Microbiology) - Hamilton
Gribbles Veterinary - Gribbles Labnet
Gribbles New Zealand is the country's leading provider of veterinary diagnostic services, operating five laboratories nationwide alongside offering a comprehensive range of food testing through chemical and microbiological analyses. We are committed to providing innovative laboratory services, commercial integrity and delivering service excellence throughout New Zealand
Our Hamilton laboratory is currently offering an exciting and rewarding opportunity for a permanent, full-time Section Leader to manage the Microbiology Department. This fully equipped diagnostic laboratory performs a range of domestic and export testing, on behalf of private veterinarians, research organisations, government agencies, pharmaceutical companies and zoos. You will also be a part of our growing business and a key position in developing our food microservice in Hamilton.
Reporting to the Laboratory Manager, our Section Leaders play an important role in creating a great working environment for staff, while ensuring that all expected section operational, quality, project and technical outcomes are delivered. As a strong leader, you will promote a culture of continuous improvement and a solutions-focused mindset, to ensure a high level of quality and service in your team. Experience in change management, method development/validation will be essential in succeeding in this role, as well as a demonstrated ability to manage staff and resources in a high throughput technically advanced laboratory environment.
The successful candidate will have:
- A tertiary qualification in science, with a major in Microbiology. A BMLSc will also be considered.
- Proven record of successful leadership and process improvement
- Solutions-focused, with the ability to problem-solve and adapt under pressure
- Continuous improvement mindset with a record of implementing change.
- Highly motivated and driven with a professional attitude
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in a PC2 level biological containment laboratory
- Flexibility to work additional hours when required
- Excellent management, prioritisation and organisational skills
- Enthusiasm, energy and a driven outlook
The following key tasks will be part of your challenging and varied role:
- Preparation, extraction and analysis of samples in accordance with documented procedures
- Reporting results in accordance with quality standards and client requirements
- Ensuring turnaround times are met, whilst maintaining quality and technical standards
- Investigation of non-conformances and completion of corrective actions
- Ongoing identification of quality, operational and efficiency improvement opportunities
- Gaining accreditation and RLP status for the laboratory
- KTP status